The Kent Armstrong floating pickup is now mounted. I installed the tuners and glued and sanded the laminated heel cap. Ill be finishing up the brass nut next.
Today I made a foam cradle to hold the body in a secure position for scraping and sanding of the bindings,it came out awesome !
Today I routed for the binding. My binding machine is from StewMac .It is simple and works very well. My rabbit bit and bearings are from LMI. I routed a .180 x .225 rabbit in 2 passes, for the multilayered plastic binding.
The body is now together for the first time.The wiring harness is secured inside with wire clips so Ill only have to solder the jack and pickup later. Next up flush trim back & bindings.
Lots of little things do this week.I made and installed my makers label, the wiring harness is ready to install inside the body so back can be glued, string ground added, ready to attach to the tail piece. shellac body build up coats applied to top back
Sorry for poor pics ,I guess after being dunked in the river ,my canon isnt quite right.I worked on the pick guard mounting block.The little block with many angles,and the pick guard with notches for pickup mounting,wiring next.
This week I did the final fitting of the neck,,bridge resaping,and fitting of the pickguard mounting block. final sanding on the Eagle inlay . Next is the wiring harness that connects jack to pickup to thumb wheel controls.Once done the Back can be glued
Author Greg Martin
I’m a self-taught guitar maker with 20+ years experience on top of a lifetime of woodworking knowledge. This blog documents the creation process of some of the guitars I have built.